Season 2009-10

Thursday 11th March 2010

Senior Soccer team crowned Irish Senior School’s Champions!

St Mary’s College   2 – 1  Salesian College, Celbridge

Today in Longford’s Flancare Park, St Mary’s Senior Soccer team captured the Irish Schools Senior  Championship for the 4th time.

Sean Glynn scored the first goal one minute into the second half. Salesian College brought the game into extra time with a well taken goal 15min from the end of normal time. A wonderful goal from Tony Ward, 2 min from the end of extra time, sealed the game for St Mary’s.

A great day for St Mary’s – Congratulations to all involved

FAIS Match report

Senior Soccer

St Mary’s win Connacht Senior Championship – 23rd Feb 2010

St Mary’s defeated Marist College, Athlone in the Final of the Connacht Colleges Senior Soccer Championship at a bitterly cold Terryland Park. The final score was 4 – 1 for St Mary’s. Well done to all the lads and to Mr Concannon and Mr Moran!

Mary’s V Marist video link




Connacht Cup Quarter Final March 9th  2010

St. Marys 3 Colaiste Iognaid (Jes) Galway 0

Another powerful display from an ever improving Marys first year side saw them progress to the Connacht semi-final following this excellent win over local rivals the Jes. Evan O’Ceallaigh latched onto an excellent through ball from Moise Assogba to put the red and black one up early in the match, and from then on there was no stopping the Marys boys. Further goals from Ross Walsh and Matthew McDermott sealed the victory.

St. Mary’s began this game at a blistering pace with the impressive O Ceallaigh raiding down the left for which he was rewarded by a beautiful first time defence splitting pass from Assogba which put him clear through on goal. From here he was never going to miss and duly notched up Mary’s first he was later to become provider and put Mc Dermott in, with a ‘cross the face of goal pass’ which Mc Dermott drilled low and hard to the back of the net. Mary’s were at this point cruising and took their collective foot of the pedal as it were, thus allowing the Jes side to come more and more into the match. However, they were just kept at bay by some resolute defending by the back four all of whom impressed.
The half time break came at a good time for Mary’s and allowed them to consolidate their two nil advantage. After half time the Jes were forced to throw everything forward and this allowed Mary’s to hit them on the counter as things started to open up. Mary’s were again rewarded with a Walsh goal after some good work down the right. The boys in red and black were to run out three nil winners due in no small part to their high intensity style of football best epitomised by a goal line clearance by Kearney in the last 2 minutes where he tracked a runner all the way from the opposition half and made the clearance.

Team: John Sheridan , Sean O’Ceallaigh, Brandon Gill, Ronan Higgins, Sean Colleran, Moise Assogba, Dean Conneally, Padraig Kearney, Ross Walsh, Evan O’Ceallaigh, Matthew McDermott. Substitues: Adam Mooney, Emmanuel Aina

Connacht Cup March 2nd 2010

St. Mary’s College 5 Colaiste Ris Westport 0

Marys first years avenged a 5 – 2 defeat to the same opposition earlier in the season to comprehensively qualify for the Connacht quarter-finals. Always in control, the Marys boys showed their desire to gain a measure of retribution and had the Westport lads under pressure from the off. Goals from Evan O’Ceallaigh (2), Moise Assogba and another brace from substitute Adam Mooney ensured that Marys interest in the competition continues on.

Connacht Cup 1st February 2010


St. Mary’s 2
Pres. Headford 0
Ref. Mr. P McGrath


The first half of this tie was very well contested, with both defences dominating. It is however fair to say that the home side probably shaded the tie on possession and had the lion’s share of the chances. Most notably late in the first half when the Headford defence were torn apart by a lovely move involving  Mc Dermott and Assogba resulting in a blistering shot from the latter which Henley in the Headford net managed to get a strong hand to. The “pacey” Walsh looked very dangerous throughout and was denied time and time again by some resilient defending by Potter at the center of the Headford defence
The second half began again with a good deal of Mary’s pressure, driven in the middle by Assogba who for large parts of the game looked to be in a different class. It was, however, a substitution early in the second half that provided the key to unlock the North Galway side’s defence as with the introduction of Ryan Daly Marys had the ace in the pack. Daly who played on the shoulder of the last defender received a great pass to his feet which he controlled on the turn before driving a dipping swerving shot which Henley had no chance of reaching. Soon after Daly was again rewarded but this time for his work ethic when he pounced on a Potter clearance and drove it low into the net.
The winners were well served all over the field but particularly by Kelly at right back Assogoba and Walsh and an imperious display of defending by Kearney and Higgins in the heart of the defense Headford too had their heroes in the form of Potter, Gleason and Cunningham.

First Year Connacht Cup played Thursday October 22nd 2009

St Marys Galway 2                 Garbally Ballinasloe 1

(Moise Assogba, Shane Ward)

Remaining group games are against Rice College Westport (away) and against Presentation College Headford (home). St Marys College First year trainers are Mr R. Bell and Mr R. Faherty

UNDER – 14

Connacht Cup 11th December 2009

St. Marys 1              Summerhill Sligo 3

St. Marys travelled the long and winding road up to Sligo for their final group match but unfortunaltely had to return home without the spoils. We got off to a disasterous start, conceding two goals in the first ten minutes, and then to compound matters we lost our keeper to injury moments after the second strike. For the rest of the half it was a case of minimising the damage done and trying hard to re-group as Summerhill pourd forward hoping to finish off the game. Following a number of changes the second half opened a lot more brightly, and from the start we brought the game to the Sligo lads. Unfortunately, despite numerous clear-cut chances, we were unable to find the target. Then to make matters worse were punished for our adventurous approach when Summerhill broke upfield to score a third late in the game. Mary’s kept on trying and Evan O’Ceallaigh rewarded their endeavours with a late consolotion goal.

St. Marys: Michael Naughton, Conor Glynn, Cian De Lamport, Paul Healy, Eamon Buckley, Thomas O’Donovan, Luke Deacy, Gaelen O’Toole, Liam Buckley, Evan O’Ceallaigh, Kevin Cunningham. Subs: Ronan Higgins, Moise Assogba, Paul Fahy, Daragh O’Riordan, Mark McKeown

U-14 Connacht Cup played Tuesday October 20th 2009

St Marys Galway 1

Schoil Mhuire Strokestown Co. Roscommon 0

(Liam Buckley)

Despite dominating St Marys Galway found it hard to break down a very resolute Strokestown outfit. Best performances were from Cian De Lamport (capt), Eamonn Buckley, Colin Glynn and Luke Deacy. Remaining group games are against Moneenageisha Community College (away) and Summerhill College Sligo (away). St Marys College U-14 trainers are Mr D. O’Boyle, Mr M. Horgan and Mr E. Casserly.


Connacht Cup Semi-final March 8th 2010

St. Marys 1  St. Josephs Galway 3

St. Marys can count themselves very unlucky to have departed the competition at this stage following a tough match against their local rivals in Drom. Having to field without top scorer Tony Ward and midfield maestro Shane Keogh, both rested ahead of appearing in Thursday’s All-Ireland senior final, proved to be a bridge too far for the game Marys lads. To compound matters, a red card for towering centre back Myles Upton following an unfortunate handball in the box, and an injury to pacy midfielder Osaze Osagie, left the marys lads severly depleted, and it was all they could do to weather the storm that followed.

Upton’s handball led to a penalty which Josephs converted, and within minutes the gap left by his departure was exposed as they stole in again for a free header in the box which was duly dispatched. Despite being two down however the Marys lads never surrendered, and fought the hard fight until the end.

St. Josephs tacked on a third when a Marys attacking move broke down leaving them exposed at the back, and it was left to lone striker David Mooney to carve out a reply late in the match. Unfortunately a case of what might have been, as undoubtedly, this match would have been much much closer had both teams been at full strength.

Connacht Quarter Final March 5th 2010

St. Marys College 5 Calasanctious Oranmore 0

U-16 Connacht Cup played Friday October 16th 2009.

St Marys Galway 4

St Clares Comprehensive, Manorhamilton 2

(Tony Warde 4)                       (Nevin O’Donnell 2)

A fine win against a very strong and organised St Clares side. Excellent performances from a fine side which includes Harry Goulding, Aaron McGinty, Myles Upton, Colin McMahon and the speedy Osaze Osagie. Remaining group games are against Scoil Mhuire Strokestown (away) and home to St Murdachs College Ballina (home). Trainers for this seasons U-16’s are Mr M. Horgan and Ger Curran.


Connacht Senior ‘A’ Cup group game played on Friday October 23rd 2009.

St Marys 9                               Ballyhaunis C.S. 0

Despite missing some key players St Marys Galway opened their Senior Cup campaign with a facile victory against a disappointing Ballyhaunis C.S. side. Two up within 10 minutes the game was a particular triumph for Sean Glynn who notched 4 goals and Shane Gallagher who got a hat trick. Strong performances also from Christan Lomboto, James Casserly, Rory Gartlan, Barry McEntee and the much improved Aengus O’Curraoin. No doubt stiffer tests lie ahead most notably an away visit to Marist College Athlone and a home tie against a reorganised Colaiste Iognaid side.

Other Senior Cup results saw St Endas defeat St Aloysius Athlone 3-1, Pres Headford drawing 4-4 with St Murdachs Ballina, St Pauls Oughterard defeating Moneenageisha C.C. 2-0 while Summerhill were held 2-2 by a good Scoil Mhuire agus Padraig Swinford side. St Marys Seniors this season are looked after by Mr Paul Concannon and Mr Jason Moran

Connacht Senior Cup group match December 11th 2009

St. Marys 6      Marist College Athlone 0

St. Marys continued their fine form in the senior competition with an excellent performance to oust the Marist. This was a strange match, played in near perfect conditions on the college pitch…strange because despite the scoreline Marist had quite a few chances to get back in to the match yet it was the deadly Marys attack that prevailed. Shane Maughan put the black and red ahead after only two minutes when he connected perfectly to beat the Athlone keeper. With the blood up some excellent running from Fiach O’Bearra put Sean Glynn in for his first of the day, and Marys continued this dominance throughout the half, despite some very close calls approaching half-time.

Barry McEntee scored a cracker from the edge of the box to put the Marys lads three up after halft-time, and this was followed soon after by Glynn’s second of the day after some great work by Shane Gallagher. Substitute Tony Ward then got in on the act with two further goals to round up a fine days work. next up is the Jes.

St. Marys: Ronan Burke, Aengus O’Curraidhn, Shane Gallagher, James Casserley,Eoin Walsh, Barry McEntee, Fiach O’Bearra,Christian Lomboto, Sean Glynn, Shane Maughan, Shane Coyle. Subs: Tony Ward, Liam McGuire, Kevin Connolly

Connacht Senior Cup group match January 19th 2010

St. Marys 5      Colaiste Iognaid Galway 0

Another excellent all-round performance from St. Marys saw them comfortably progress to the Quarter-finals of this years competition. The Jes have proven to be tricky opponents in the past but any Marys nerves about this fixture were quickly dispersed when Shane Coyle scores an excellent free after only three minutes. Soon after this Barry McEntee scored another, and with Rory Gartlan and Christian Lomboto dominant in midfield there was no way back for our neighbours.

Persistant Marys pressure saw further goals from Fiach O’Bearra, Tony Ward and Shane Maughan to see out a good day in the balack and red

St. Marys: Ronan Burke, Shane Gallagher, Eoin Walsh, Barry McEntee, James Casserley, Rory Gartlan, Fiach O’Bearra, Christian Lomboto, Shane Coyle, Sean Glynn, Shane Maughan.Subs: Aengus O’Curraidhn, Tony Ward

Connacht Senior Cup Quarter Final January 29th

St. Marys        3

St. Muredachs Ballina    1

The College progressed to this years Connacht Semi-final by virtue of a hard faught victory over their north Mayo rivals on Friday. Marys started very brightly, immediately setting out their stall to attack, and soon had the Ballina defence in sixes and sevens as they tried to cope with the dominant Marys forwards. This pressure paid dividends when great work from Shane Coyle and Tony Ward down the left wing set up Fiach O’Bearra to open the score after only ten minutes. Soon afterwards a brilliant run from Shane Gallagher down the right wing resulted in an inch perfect pass to the onrushing Rory Gartlan and the midfielder placed his shot low and hard to the keepers left for the second goal of the match. Marys were now completely dominant, and despite missing a number of good chances  were never threatened by the Mayo lads. Ten minutes before half-time Tony Ward was rewarded for his incessant running with a fantastic goal, and the match looked done and dusted.

However, the socond half proved a whole new ball game as the Ballina boys, with nothing to lose, upped their game considerably and proceeded to place the College boys under great pressure. They were rewarded for their efforts with a fine goal, and soon afterwards saw another disallowed. The Marys boys were a bit shell-shocked as they began to suffer for their earlier complaceny, but were eventually able to re-group and hold their own for the rest of the match, even affording the luxury of missing a penalty along the way.


St. Marys: Ronan Burke, Shane Gallagher, Aengus O’Curraidhn, Eoin Walsh, Barry McEntee, James Casserley, Rory Gartlan, Fiach O’Bearra, Christian Lomboto, Shane Coyle, Sean Glynn, Tony Ward.Subs: Kevin McMahon

Connacht Cup Semi-final February 16th

St. Marys 1 Presentation Athenry 1 (Marys win 5 – 3 on penalties aet)

Connacht Senior Cup Final February 23rd

St. Marys 4 Marist College Athlone 1

St. Marys proved beyond doubt thet they are the kingpins of senior schools soccer in Connacht when they captured ttheir fifth Connacht Schools senior title in the past ten years when they overcame  Marist College Athlone in Terryland park. having previously beaten their opposition  6 – 0 in the group stages the Marys boys approached this game with a measure of confidence. However, they struggled to live up to this favourites tag during the opening exchanges, being unable to exert any authority over a dogged Marist team. Once they found their rhythm however, they showed that they were indeed a class above their opponents, and in a powerful second half display advanced to the national stages of the competition.

The game was just four minutes old when Marys carved out their first chance, when Shane Maughan showed a clean pair of heels to race through on goal only to see his powerful shot smash off the crossbar with the Marist keeper well beaten. Marist responded with a well worked free-kick from Robbie Benson, but the effort flew wide of Ronan  Burkes post. Marys upped the ante and nine minutes later James Casserley almost met Shane Keogh’s fine free kick across the face of the Athlone goal. Sean Glynn followed this with a mazy run down the left wing and his excellent ball across the square was almost converted by a rasping shot from Fiach O’Bearra that flew just past the post. Fiach did have the ball in the net a few minutes after this but unfortunately his tap home from keogh’s shot was ruled offside.

Tony Ward was proving to be a constant thorn in the Marist defence, and a his pace almost brought him through on goal, however a moments hesitation at the vital moment saw the Athlone keeper carberry smother his effort. On the stroke of half-time Sean Glynn was booked following a clumsy rather than malicious challenge, but unfortunately this was to haunt hime in the second half when he received a very harsh second booking and was shown the line.

Ronan Burke had to be sharp at the start of the second half as Alan Coffey snapped in a great shot to get proceedings underway, and followed this up moments later with a great double save, parrying Bensons free and getting down quickly to deny Caffey again. Within seconds Marys had the ball in the net on the other side.  A great run through the centre by Barry McEntee saw him feed the ball to Fiach O’Bearra whose excellent pinpoint pass put Tony Ward through on goal, and he made no mistake this time. The wind was firmly in Marys sails now and they could easily have tripled their tally within two minutes, as a last ditch tackle denied Maughan a clear run on goal, and Keogh’s excellent shot was brilliantly saved by Carberry.

McEntee next went close before a long throw from Evan Browne was nodded into Sean Glynn’s path by Maughan and the midfielder rifled a wonderful shot high into the corner of the Marist net from the edge of the box. Sean’s joy was cut short however when from the tip off his enthusastic challenge led to his second yellow, and marys were left to face the rest of the match a man short. Obviously though it proved not to be too daunting a task, as three minutes later Shane keogh climbed higher than keepr Carberry to nod home Browne’s excellent cross for a three goal advantage.

Marist were thrown a lifeline whe Shane Gallagher was adjudged to have taken down Coffey  in the box and Horan converted the penalty. However, heads never dropped, and near the end Shane Maughan showed excellent skill, taking down  Keogh’s cross on his chest, beating two men in the box, and then coolly slotting the ball into the corner of the net. There was unfortunately still a sting in the tail for Marys when substitute Greg Bohan was penalised for a  rash challenge and shown a straight red card. However, not even that setback could stop the Black and Red from lifting the title for the fifth time since 2001

All-Ireland Senior Soccer semi-final March 1st 2010

St. Marys 2 Colaiste Mhuire Cobh 0

Marys long trip down to Shannon was well rewarded following an uneventful semi-final against the Munster champions. Marys never looked to be in trouble throughout, and goals from the in-form Tony Ward, and a piledriver from right-back Shane Gallagher safely saw them progress to the All-Ireland final. They’ll now meet Salesian College Celbridge, where hopes are high that the college can secure their fourth title.


 Connacht Interprovincial Soccer team 2009
Six St.Mary’s students were involved with the Connacht Schools Senior Soccer Squad in the Interprovincial championships held in Athlone on the weekend of the 16th/17th of October. Connacht finished 2nd to Leinster.
B Row: 2nd and 3rd from left Shane Gallagher and Barry McEntee. 6th is James Casserley and 9th is Ronan Burke.
F Row: 1st on left is Shane Coyle and 3rd is Rory Gartlan

Return to Soccer